I am in need of housing, what should I do?

For individuals supervised by the Alameda County Probation Department, contact your Deputy Probation Officer for a housing referral or call 510-268-7050 to be connected to the Officer of the Day, if you do not have an assigned Deputy Probation Officer.

For individuals not supervised by the Alameda County Probation Department, call 211 for information on rental housing, emergency shelter, transitional housing, and other housing resources. 211 can also provide more information about Alameda County’s Coordinated Entry System for those experiencing homelessness. You can also visit www.achousingchoices.org to search for affordable housing in Alameda County.

Who is AB 109 eligible?

People who are considered eligible for AB 109 services include:

  • Post-Release Community Supervision (PRCS)
  • PC 1170(h) including: split sentences, mandatory
    supervision, and deferred entry of judgement in
    lieu of AB-109 eligible offense
  • Formal Probationers
  • Pretrial Program Participants
  • Specialty Court Participants (felony convictions)
  • AB1950 Clients (impacted by retroactive
    application of legislation)

How can I go directly from jail/prison into a drug rehabilitation program?

If you are currently incarcerated and seeking to gain acceptance into a program upon release we recommend you write the program directly. Your CDCR counselor, probation officer, or public defender may be able to help you with the process.

Where else can I find reentry resources?

California is comprised of 58 different counties, all with unique resources. Some resource information can be found online and can be difficult to obtain in hard copy format. Please contact your local CDCR or Probation Office to learn more about specific resources in your area. The California Reentry Council Network also maintains a list of stakeholders from counties throughout the state that you can reach out to for local resource information. Visit calreentry.com.

What is Post-Release Community Supervision (PRCS)?

PRCS clients are individuals released from prison for non-serious and non-violent offenses, and are not classified as high risk sex offenders, who are being supervised by local probation agencies.

If they do not violate the conditions of their probation, a PRCS client typically serves one year on probation as opposed to three years of parole.

What is AB109/Realignment?

In May 2011, the US Supreme Court ordered California to deal with prison overcrowding by reducing the population in the state’s 33 prisons within two years. In response, the California legislature and Governor Edmund “Jerry” Brown passed two laws that year: Assembly Bill 109 in  and Assembly Bill 117.

AB109 established the Public Safety Realignment Act of 2011, which allowed for non-violent, non-serious, and non-sex offenders who are released from California state prisons to be supervised by probation officers at the local county level instead of state parole officers. To help manage the shift of responsibility for tens of thousands of individuals from the state to the counties, the state gave funding to the counties.

The ‘realigned population’ consists of individuals sentenced with a 1170(h)-eligible offense who are serving their time in county jail, parole violators adjudicated in local courts, and Post-release Community Supervision (PRCS).

What services can I access through the Probation Department?

Your DPO can link you to a variety of services through the Probation Department. These services are funded with state monies, paid by the Probation Department, and delivered by contracted Community Based Organizations (CBOs). CBOs are non-profit organizations working to help the members of the community by providing a range of services.

Some of the services offered by CBOs and funded by the Probation department include:

  • Employment and job readiness programs
  • Career Technical Education Programs (Apprenticeships)
  • Substance Abuse treatment services
  • Education, Cognitive Behavior Therapy services
  • Mental health treatment and counseling services
  • Public Benefit Enrollment
  • Family Reunification Services
  • Parenting classes
  • Legal advice and counseling
  • Domestic Violence Courses
  • Identification (ID) and barrier removal services
  • Housing assistance and temporary housing

What does a Probation Officer do?

A Probation Officer wears many hats. At different times, they can take the role of social worker, advocate, or law enforcement. They enforce the conditions of probation and help you to understand and follow the directives of the Court. They also help you build a case plan, connect you with different services, and help you rebuild your life after being incarcerated. 

How do I request a transfer of probation/post release community supervision to another county?

First, contact your probation officer. Typically, the municipality which has been assigned to supervise you will require you show proof you live in another county. Next contact your attorney or public defender and ask to be put back on calendar and file a 1203.9 request to the court. These requests always have to go through the courts. If approved, the current probation department contacts the receiving agency and verifies the address before proceeding. This process can take anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

How do I request a transfer of parole supervision to another county?

A transfer of your parole supervision has to be initiated by your parole agent. In most circumstances, verifiable, permanent housing must be established for your transfer to be considered.